Saturday, May 2, 2009

Guilty!

I hope this isn't just me! Have you ever committed one of your pet peeves, realized immediately after that you did, and then you were irritated with yourself afterwords? You always get so irritated when other people do your pet peeve, but then when you do it..... (At this point, I really am hoping that I am not the only one who has done this).

So last night I had to run some last minute errands before everything closed. I had two destinations: ULTA and Barnes & Noble. Barnes & Noble is typically open later, so I decided to go to ULTA first and that decision is where I made my mistake that would later cause me to commit my pet peeve. There were a couple of things I needed to get at ULTA: a gift for one of my best friend's bridal shower, and I was also searching for a new perfume. Not just any perfume, the perfect perfume, the one that will make me say "That's it!" the moment I smell it. There are a lot of perfumes that I love, but I have yet to find "the one". I am very picky. Usually when I'm perfume shopping I spray on just one to see if I like it on myself, or I ask for a sample to take home and try. There is nothing worse (I know I have used this phrase a lot already, but it seems to apply to a lot of things) than walking past a person that smells like the perfumania store at the mall. I don't know how people can go in there. Let alone the person that has to work there. Do you really want a headache? Or maybe it's like working at the sewage plant, supposedly you get used to the smell.

My pet peeve is when people are trying perfumes and they just spray one after the other on themselves, or even in the air mistakenly thinking that it will not get on them. Don't people realize how awful this is for the other people that have to smell them? It's like their noses work while they're spraying on the individual perfumes, but the moment they're done their nose quits working and they can't smell the horrible Chanel-number-42-different-perfumes-I-just-sprayed-on-myself concoction that stinks to high heaven, that you can usually smell a mile away. Here's another thing, even if you're spraying (or spritzing, whatever you want to call it), the perfume onto one of those white cards, it's still getting on your fingers, hands, wrists and sometimes your whole body if you accidentally walk thru the perfume mist that is still lingering in the air.

On the rarest of occasions I will sometimes try on a perfume and then find another one I just "have to" try on too. Usually when I do this, I am very conscious of what I'm doing and I make sure that I don't have to go anywhere else so I don't give anyone a headache, or have people staring at me long before I'm in close proximity to them because they can smell me coming. And then comes last night. For some reason I was certain that I was going to find "the one". So I start going up and down the perfume isles, spraying the little white cards. I was smelling so many perfumes that I carried the container of coffee beans with me because it was faster than having to walk back over to the only display that had the coffee beans in between every spray. I was smelling a lot of perfume people! So after about 20 minutes I came to the conclusion that "the one" wasn't there. So I paid for my other items and left. Barnes & Noble was right next door, so I decided to walk. As I went too open the large Barnes & Noble doors, there were a few people coming out, who gave me "the look". It was then that my nose came back into commission and I realized how I smelled, which was like Chanel number 42! Instantly I was horrified because I had just committed one of my own pet peeves and had probably given a handful of people a headache on top of it. At that point I should have walked right out, got in my car, and drove home. But I was on a mission for a VERY important book, that I HAVE to have by a certain date in the not to distant future. What did I do? I made my way to the customer service counter and asked if they had the book that I was looking for, giving people headaches all along the way. In the end, all those people got a headache for nothing, because Barnes & Noble didn't have my book and I ended up having to order it online.

2 comments:

I Am Boymom said...

So you had a blonde moment. It happens to the best of us. It stinks that you spent all that time and energy and gave everyone around you a headache and still went home with nothing though.

Anonymous said...

Oi. Parabéns por seu excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil. Abração